Thursday, April 4, 2013

Self Portrait Manga Character

A few days ago... maybe it was a week or so ago... Recently, Puese and I watched some really dumb movies. Some were just dumb to him, some were just dumb to me. Among these films was one that I really enjoyed that he thought was just weird. Yes, it was weird. But it had a strange charm about it that inspired me. This film was "Unicorn City" and this is not a review of it. (I may do one someday, but this isn't about that.)
Granted; it didn't inspire me to go off and make my own "utopia for gamers" as they did in the movie, but rather, it's led me to want to get back into literature, and caused me to explore what I love so much about that aspect of creativity. Fantasy. I love fantasy. Action, Adventure, and Fantasy. When tie
d together with mystery, probably makes up the best stories ever! But I digress.
This weeks exploration in creativity had me wanting to write a story. But not just any story. Every time I try to write something it falls flat and ends abruptly. Plus, there's no visual aspect besides the imagination for written stories. So I've decided to undergo a task much larger, and a bit more simple in the literary department. I opted to turn myself into a character. As a character, I can draw myself into an illustration and write a short story, or a scene based on it. Then, with a collection of these scenes, it could turn into a long adventure.
But first I had to know that I could draw me. Before I give my character me, any sort of personality or setting, I had to draw a version of me. I figured the easiest way to replicate myself multiple times would be to  be Manga style. Why I thought this; I'm not exactly certain, I'd never drawn Manga style anything before in my life. So this morning, after tooling around on Monster Hunter, I said what the heck, I'm just going to do it. (I also wasted a whole bunch of time last night watching Mark Crilley videos on Youtube). So I gathered up some pencils, and paper, grabbed my colored pencils and went to work outside. I tried to draw me, as I am today from memory. I think I did an okay job. (I'll take a picture of me and post it as well, so you can see)

. I'm pretty satisfied with my first attempt. What do you think? Any suggestions for scenes, settings, illustrations, or stories?




No comments:

Post a Comment