Thursday, February 21, 2013

Waste Not, and Painting

I had a plan for what I wanted to do this week for a creative project. I found some fun, light fabric upstairs in my fabric box, and pulled out the pattern I have that would suit it. I was looking at the size chart, making sure that I found the correct pieces, and lo; it didn't come in my size. Actually; all the sizes on the pattern were much, much, much too small to fit me in my present state of largeness. So it was back to the drawing board; of projects that is. I went back upstairs and brought down my two bankers boxes filled with picture frames. My mom and I decided we needed some picture frames as decoration for the engagement party. But after going through them all, and all the pictures I had in the boxes, I could only narrow it down to pictures of me, and nothing else. I couldn't progress until I had pictures of Puese at similar ages and situations. (This was all yesterday. I did get a hold of a few pictures of him today). I hazardously piled all the pictures and frames back into the boxes and plopped down on the couch and proceeded to watch 3 different versions of Alice in Wonderland. I did not do a project yesterday.
Faced with the same conundrum today, I queried the household for possible creative things I could do. No one was very helpful beyond Puese providing me with a few old envelopes of photographs that I was welcome to go through at my leisure. I found seven photos of him, used 4, and am waiting until I can get a better variety to work with. After that, I was still left with finding a project. (Have I bored you yet?)
I pulled out my paints, set up my drop cloths, grabbed some smaller canvases and stared into space. I didn't have a plan, I didn't have any ideas. Just blank canvases and primary colors. So I thought back to what I'd done in the past, and what I liked about the things I'd done. I really liked doing my piece "That's the only way you'll see me." But I wasn't in that same sort of mental state. Most of my other pieces lately have dealt mainly with silhouettes  I decided to stick with this general theme. More specifically, I deal with the psychology of the colors and shapes to show the emotions of the story they tell. Mostly they deal with relationships, loss, love, loneliness,  that sort of thing. But I didn't want to do the same thing I'd done before. Meaning I didn't want to do horizons, trees, people, mundane. I have in the past done mythological pieces, back when I was working with pastels. I still doodle some of them sometimes, but not very often. I finally decided to do something very simplistic that was still withing the same realm of style as my previous pieces... Now that I've talked so much, I'll let you view them for yourself.
The third piece is not part of the set, but it's own thing. I've labeled it "Waste Not." Do you have any thoughts you'd like to share?



No comments:

Post a Comment